Vegan meatballs in the air-fryer
These meatballs are made with steel-cut oats, canned chickpeas, sunflower seeds and some flavourful herbs and spices.Print Rate
- Food processor
- air fryer
- Microwave (to cook the steel-cut oats)
Filler (can be substituted with whole-grain rice)
- ½ cup Steel-cut oats
- 2 cup water
- 8 oz Chickpeas canned
- ¼ cup Sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp Rice flour substitute with chickpea flour or buckwheat flour
- 1 Tbsp Hemp hearts
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Basil
- ½ tsp Parsley
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Tomato paste
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
Prepare the steel-cut oats
- Add the steel-cut oats and the water to a microwave save glass bowl and cover. Set on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Stir. Cook, uncovered, for an additional 5 minutes.
- To your food processor add half of the chickpeas, sunflower seeds, cooked steel-cut oats, seasoning and spices. Pulse the mix gently. Don’t puree it! You need some chunks and bits for a better texture. Depending on the size of your container, work in batches.
- For a better texture we want to have some chunks in the 'dough'. Pulse the mix gently. Do not make it into a puree. If your food processor is smaller, you'll have to work in batches. The final result will be better.
- Add the rest of the chickpeas and make a few more pulses.
Making small balls
- Make your hands wet and take 2 tablespoons of the mixture and form balls with your hands. You can use your small cookie scooper to measure. Try to make them all the same size en about 1" (2,5cm) in diameter.
- Spray them lightly with oil of your choice. By spraying the oil, you use just a little bit for a big result. These glass spray bottles (affiliate link) are ideal.
- Place the meatballs in a single layer in your air-fryer basket. Make sure there is space between the balls. Fry for 7-10 mins until they get a crispy brownish crust.