Fall veggies, sautéed apples and smokey chicken
Chicken Skillet with Butternut squash, Turnip, Brussels Sprouts and Sautéed ApplesPrint Rate
Textured Vegetable Protein (substitute with 300 gr chicken breast)
- 1 cup large TVP 60gr dried chunks
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 Tbsp Coconut milk powder
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp tamari or coconut aminos substitute with low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 350 gr Brussels sprouts
- 350 gr turnip cut into ½" cubes
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 sweet/sour apple peeled, cored and cut into ½" cubes
Herbs and Spices
- 2 pinch kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder substitute with 4 fresh cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ cup chicken bouillon made with bouillon ½ block bouillon powder or 1 teaspoon better than bouillon
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts: remove the outer leaves and cut in 4 quarters.
- Prepare the turnip: peel the turnips and cut in cubes.
- Prepare the butternut squash: for this recipe, you do not need the whole butternut. Butternut squash is not a low carb veggie but does add a lot of flavour to this dish. Use the rest for another dish. Peel and cut in cubes as big as the turnips.
- Prepare the chicken: cut in cubes as big as the turnips.
- Set a skillet on medium-high. When hot, add the olive oil.
- When the olive oil is shimmering, add the chicken blocks, the liquid smoke, a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper. Stir and sauté until lightly browned. This will take about 3 minutes. Spoon the chicken in a bowl.
- Add the onions and add a pinch of salt. Stir constantly until the onion turns translucent. Add a few drops of water/ chicken stock if needed to not burn the onions. This will take 4 minutes.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, turnips and butternut squash. Cook, stirring occasionally about 3 minutes. Add two tablespoons of chicken stock and cook another 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the apples, garlic powder, thyme, and cinnamon. Stir 30 seconds. Add 1/2 of the remaining stock and bring to a boil and cook until all liquid is evaporated (about 2 minutes) .
- Add the reserved chicken and remaining broth. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in reserved bacon and serve warm.