- Rinse the lentils in a fine-mesh sieve under the faucet. Inspect the lentils and remove any bad lentils or small stones.
- Put the lentils in a pan (with lid) with cold salted water and turn on the heat.
- The moment your water cooks, drain the lentils and refresh them under cold water or briefly in a bowl with ice water.
- Add new water/ vegetable stock in your pan and bring to a boil. For every cup of lentils, add 4 cups of liquid.
- Throw in the cold lentils and a bay leaf.
- Reduce to a very low simmer, cover and set your timer for 18-25 minutes. The cook time will vary slightly based on the variety:
- Green Lentils: 18-20 minutes
- Lentils de Puy and black lentils: 25-30 minutes
- Brown Lentils: 20-25 minutes
The lentils will shine, have kept their shape and are a bit crispy. They are tastiest this way!