Osso Buco is a traditional Italian dish made with veal shanks that are browned and cooked with onion, garlic, carrots and tomatoes. Veal shanks contain marrow bone that add fantastic flavour (and healthy fats!) to this low-carb meat dish. After the sixty minutes in the Instant Pot, the bone marrow is extremely easy to extract.
Traditionally, veal shanks are served with a simple gremolata, risotto or polenta. Add more veggies (like grated zucchini) to make it extra healthy. Always aim to maximize the portion of vegetables and lower the portion of carbs and meat.
This recipe is for two servings in a healthy meal plan (add more veggies if you are extra hungry). I used two medium veal shanks (450g in total) but depending on the size of yours, you will have to adjust (make sure to use the correct weight).
Even if you are short on time, do not skip the browning of the meat because browning adds a lot of flavours and takes this popular Italian-inspired dish to a whole new level.
Instant Pot Osso Bucco
- Instant Pot
- ⅔ cup yellow or red onion diced (1 small onion, 70 g)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ⅔ cup carrot peeled and diced (1 medium carrot, 65 g)
- ⅔ cup green celery stalk diced (2 stalks, 80 g)
- 450 g veal shanks, bone in (about 1 lb) - will yield about 50% meat, 225 g/ 0,5 lb raw meat)
- ½ tsp sea salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper or to taste
- ¼ tsp dried thyme substitute with a sprig of fresh thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary substitute with marjoram
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ⅔ cup roasted tomato passata rather thick consistency
- ⅔ cup chicken stock or make your own with 'better than bouillon'. Do not substitute with a cube since those contain too much salt)
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 30 ml
- Peel and chop/dice the celery, carrot, onion and garlic.
- Set your Insta Pot of Ninja Foodi to Sauté and add the olive oil (In the picture I use a 8-quart/L Ninja Foodi)
- Add the diced onions, carrots and celery.
- Sauté the veggies for 3 minutes while stirring constantly. We need the onions to become glazed, not burned.
- Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Move the vegetables to the side and add the veal shanks.
- Let this side brown for about 90 seconds and turn the veal shank. Brown the other side as well.
- Remove the shanks and place on a plate. I placed a paper towel under the meat to remove exess fat.
- Add the thyme, rosemary, basil, salt and pepper.Pour de white wine, the chicken stock and the passata on the vegetables. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the browned shanks back and cover with the sauce.
- Close the lid and close the valve. Set the Instant Pot to manual on high for 40 minutes. After those 40 minutes let the pressure release naturally for 20 minutes.After the 60 minutes, release the left over steam and open the lid.
- Remove the meat (this is now falling of the bone, so be carefully) and place on a plate. I tear the meat in small chunks to mix it with the sauce. That way you have the feeling there is a lot more.
- Set the Instant Pot back to simmer and reduce the sauce until you have a consistancy like yogurt (or a consistancy like you disire). You can add a slurry with potato or corn starch if you do not have the time to wait till it reduces by evaporating the liquid.