This recipe from Pick up Limes was just perfect to get me introduced with Tofu.
Sticky spicy tofu block
The potato starch adds a crispy layer to the soft tofu blocks. The sticky and spicy sauce adds another 'yum' layer.Print Rate
- Large pan so all the tofu cubes can lay next to each other, not on top.
For the tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu (250 gr) cut into into ½ inch (1 cm) cubes
- 2 Tbsp potato starch substitute with arrowroot or corn starch
- 1 Tbsp flavourless oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
For the sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 red radishes, diced substitute with spring onions
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp gochujang chili paste substitute with another hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp tamari substitute with another low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ Tbsp nigella seeds substitute with toasted golden sesame seeds
Baking the tofu blocks
- Remove all the excess liquid from the tofu and pat dry. Your tofu cubes will get more crispy when they are dry to begin with.
- Mix the tofu cubes with the potato starch, oil, salt and peper and gently toss the cubes so all sides from all cubes are coated with a layer of starch.
- Place a large pan on high heat. When hot enough, lay all the tofu cubes in one layer and let this side become golden. After 2 minutes, turn the cubes to another side and let that side get crispy as well. Repeat for all other sides. Try to not disturb the tofu until that side is crispy to prevent it crumbling.
- When the tofu block are golden and crispy to your liking, transfer them to a temporary plate.
- Use the same pan for the sauce. Place on medium-high heat and add the oil. When hot, add the garlic, shallot, and radishes all at once. Sauté for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Mix the rest of the sauce in a small bowl: Wisk the maple syrup, gochujang, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the rest of the sauce. Cook for another four to five minutes until the sauce becomes sticky.
- Add the tofu blocks to the pan, and give it a stir so the tofu blocks are coated on all sides.
- Garnish with the nigella seeds or the toasted sesame seeds.
Gochujang is a Korean fermented red chili paste, which has a sweet, savoury and spicy flavour. Outside of Korea it can be found in most Asian supermarkets, but you could also substitute it with another hot sauce, such as Sriracha.